Thursday, June 15, 2017

I Like Friends Who Read

K-178-Ae-04006-id-419748
via rawpixel.com on Flickr
Five Reasons Why My Best Friend is Awesome:
  1. she is very smart and whimsical
  2. she knows things I don’t, like linguistics
  3. she will go see Captain Underpants with me
  4. one time we boiled an orange
  5. we always talk about BOOKS (or TV)
It’s fair to say that my best friend and I became best friends because we had similar bookish interests. (I mean, it also required a willingness to make significant emotional investments and maintain our core values, but let’s not get technical.) She liked Harry Potter; I liked Harry Potter. She liked Percy Jackson; I liked Percy Jackson. She liked Ranger’s Apprentice; I forgot she lent me the first two books and awkwardly found them five months later.

Friendship, to say the least, is magic.

Elizabeth and I still love reading and discussing books together, and it helps to have a friend with similar reading interests. It helps to have one good friend who approaches conversations about Twilight like a serious person, and not like a person who makes a secret list of reasons why I (might) have bad taste. It is good to have someone who has similar reservations about the newest YA book on the street (Labyrinth Lost, in our case), and who admires Carswell Thorne, and who is a slut for Shakespeare (her words, not mine).

This is not to say we always read the same things—someone, by which I mean me, just bought an armful of Star Trek books, and that’s going to be a solitary march for that person. And I have not read Watership Down, which apparently is so good she'd name her kids after the characters. Still, our interests align enough that we enjoy a profitable overlap in our literary intrigues. According to Goodreads our interests are 82% similar, whatever that means.

We don’t even hate books the other likes… that I can remember. One may like what the other dislikes, but never to an extreme. The only example I can think of is The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. I really like it; she does really not. And we disagree on Shakespeare plays. King Lear is her favorite play. Which is great, because King Lear is legit. I’m not going to betray my convictions by suggesting it’s not. However, Macbeth is where it’s at. So. Sucks to suck.

Overall, though, we get along in our reading lives about as well as we do in our external ones. It’s good. I don’t know if I can imagine having a best friend who doesn’t like reading. Having a friend who likes to read enlivens discussions and provides an emotional outlet.

I am fortunate to have found her.

Do you and your friends have similar reading interests?


7 comments :

  1. *sigh* Hopefully I'll be able to make friends like these one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! They are awesome to have around. :)

      Delete
  2. Thats really cool! My friends and I share a lot of other interests, none of them read much sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. Still, that does provide you with relationships that help you develop your other interests, too!

      Delete
  3. I have lots of friends with similar reading interests. A couple of friends of mine and I are reading the same book at the same time. ^ ^

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! My best friend and I don't usually read the same books at the same time, but that's something I ought to try sometime. :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. That's awesome! Some of my closest friends have very similar interests to me, and near same taste. It's really great to be able to recommend a book they'll like and vice versa. :)

    ReplyDelete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!